The University engages its alumni fully in the life of the institution as valued supporters, advocates, and lifelong learners who contribute to and benefit from connections to each other and to the University.
Education is the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another.
G. K. Chesterton
They are volunteers and partners. Ambassadors, advocates, and donors. Mentors to current students and lifelong learners. They live in Vancouver and Kelowna, across Canada, and all around the globe, and they work in every field imaginable. More than a quarter million in number, they embody the values, the knowledge, and the passion of the University, and its commitment to serve the world. They are UBC alumni, and they seek an even closer relationship with their alma mater. UBC is honoured to oblige.
The University increases its capacity to involve alumni in meaningful ways. Through partnerships with faculties, student groups, and service providers, and with the support of individuals and communities worldwide, UBC develops programs for grads of every era. UBC builds connections between alumni and current students to foster a sense of community and continuity between generations.
UBC is committed to a relationship of mutual contribution and benefit, confident that its effect will extend beyond any of our lifetimes.
- Foster the growth and development of UBC’s alumni communities
- Create access for all alumni to a ready network of peers and the UBC learning environment
- Prepare UBC students to make the most of their UBC networks
- A new Alumni Association Strategic Plan was implemented with the focus on four goals:
- Alumni are Integral and Engaged
- Alumni Advance UBC’s Vision
- The Alumni Experience is Mutually Beneficial
- Alumni UBC Models Best Practice and Grows its Capacity to Serve
- Your evolution –We invited alumni to tell us about the socially beneficial projects they are involved in – both through partnership with UBC and out in the broader community. A new website has been built, for participants to upload information about their projects, seek volunteers from among other alumni, and gain awareness for their cause via social media networks (for a chance to win a professionally produced promotional video).
- Expand University-wide efforts to engage alumni and increase the capacity of the Alumni Association to support this endeavor and promote UBC
- Build positive regard for UBC through all alumni activities
- Build a new Alumni Centre that will serve as a dynamic welcome centre on the Vancouver campus, bringing together all members of the campus community
- 4,283 alumni interacted with current students through activities such a mentoring and speaking at the Student Leadership Conference and other events. Over 50,000 alumni engaged with UBC in a countable way in 2013-14, surpassing the campaign target a year early
- Over 16,000 alumni attended our programs held throughout the year. 3,039 alumni supported UBC by volunteering their time
- The Alumni Centre was approved by the Board of Governors and is anticipated to be open in 2015